The Associated Students of CSU, Chico is recruiting for Assistant Director, Marketing & Design. This position is responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of a centralized marketing department that includes corporate branding, public relations, graphic design, promotional materials and digital content for the Associated Students. This is a full-time, full-year (2080 hours), exempt position. The pay range begins at $62,400/year; placement in range is dependent upon experience.
Associated Students offers excellent benefits to include medical, dental and vision insurance with a generous employer contribution toward the cost. Basic life, AD&D, and long term disability are fully employer paid. Retirement is offered through CalPERS. An employee contribution to this defined benefit plan is required in addition to a significant employer contribution.
The Associated Students (AS) is a comprehensive campus auxiliary corporation of CSU,Chico serving thousands of students, faculty, staff and community members through myriad student programs, services and business enterprises. With an annual budget of more than $21M, the AS operates residential and retail dining services, the Bell Memorial Union, the Wildcat Recreation Center (WREC), and administers the contract for the Wildcat Store (bookstore). Additionally, the AS offers a wide variety of services and programs such as: CAVE (Community Action Volunteers in Education), Child Development Lab, Adventure Outings, Sustainability and student government. Typically, the AS employs more than 100 full and part-time employees and more than 750 students.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
Per CSU and Associated Students policy, all staff accessing campus are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (proof required) or have an approved exemption.
To be considered, you must submit an application in full to www.as.csuchico.edu and attach a resume and cover letter. This position is open until filled; applications reviewed upon receipt.
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, MARKETING & DESIGN
Under general supervision, the Assistant Director of Marketing & Design is responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of a centralized marketing department that includes corporate branding, public relations, graphic design, promotional materials and digital content for the Associated Students.
– Manage and oversee Associated Students Marketing & Design team, including all professional and student staff, working in an agency-like structure.
– Spearhead and manage content and design strategy for both small-scale and large-scale projects and events, harnessing strategy, digital and brand design, compelling content, outreach efforts and technology. Prioritize work and resources across projects based on short- and long-term needs, establishing production schedules by collaborating with design team, clients, and production departments
– Collaborate with the marketing and other internal departments in developing marketing plans, analyzing results, and identifying opportunities
– Direct the recruitment, selection, training, scheduling, supervision, and evaluation of department staff.
– Collaborate with team members to coordinate the content, digital design and effective utilization of the corporate website and the digital signage system ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
– Oversee the design, procurement and distribution of branded promotional material. Coordinate printing and delivery schedules with vendors and related staff. Meet all established deadlines.
– Serve as primary media contact between the Associated Students and news outlets.
– Coordinate the development and implementation of important communications on behalf of organization leadership that helps distribute a clear organization-wide message to internal staff.
– Develop and maintain strong vendor relationships, negotiating project costs and routinely evaluating other vendors for efficiency and/or competitive pricing.
– Develop, maintain, and enforce marketing and public relations policies and procedures to include the corporate identity and branding guidelines and the social media policy.
– Coordinate and/or conduct focus groups, need assessments, surveys, etc. to ascertain campus view and perceptions of AS services, programs and facilities using appropriate methods for data collection.
– Consult with internal clients in the development of marketing and public relations strategies. Analyze project requirements, schedule, and estimate job costs.
– Collaborate with University Communications and other campus communicators to execute University-wide messaging and integrate Associated Students
– Manage department budget and oversee all necessary spending
– Represent the Associated Students in contacts with the campus community, the public and other organizations.
– Other duties may be assigned.
POSITIONS DIRECTLY SUPERVISED
Graphic Design Coordinator, Marketing Coordinator, Student Leads
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in a typical office environment with prolonged periods of work on a computer and regular contact with others. Participation in various activities, events, meetings and/or retreats on or off campus which may include evenings and/or weekends may be required.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS – Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; verbal and written communication.
Up to 5% annually to occasionally attend conferences, visit other campuses, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
– Knowledge of marketing, social media, graphic design and public relations principles and best practices.
– Ability to manage all aspects of a project (i.e. staff, cost, etc.) to meet established deadlines.
– Copyright and other applicable laws pertaining to publications and the media.
– Ability to work collaboratively and maintain effective working relationships with diverse constituencies.
– Ability to work well under pressure meeting multiple and sometimes competing deadlines.
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
– Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
– Bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, or related field.
– Three (3) years of full-time experience in public relations, marketing, or public affairs, preferably for a university, non-profit organization and/or a creative agency.
– Two (2) years of supervisory experience.
– Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point on both PC and Mac platforms.
– Knowledge of design software – Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, After Effects.
– Management experience preferred.
– Agency experience preferred.
– Proven previous experience creating marketing/public relations materials such as flyers, brochures, newsletters, etc. – Portfolio required.
– Possession of or ability to obtain a current and valid California Driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
– Full vaccination status against COVID-19 or an approved medical or religious exemption per Associated Students policy.
– A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
To apply for this job please visit as.csuchico.edu.