The Associated Students of CSU, Chico is recruiting for a Government Affairs Coordinator. This is a non-exempt, full-time, full-year (2080 hours) position. The pay range is $21.00 – 25.00/hr; placement in range is dependent upon experience with new hires typically starting at the beginning of the range. The anticipated schedule for this position is Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm. This schedule is subject to change based on operational needs.
Associated Students offers excellent benefits to include medical, dental and vision insurance with a generous employer contribution toward the cost. Basic life, AD&D, and long term disability are fully employer paid. Retirement is offered through CalPERS. An employee contribution to this defined benefit plan is required in addition to a significant employer contribution.
The Associated Students (AS) is a comprehensive campus auxiliary corporation of CSU,Chico serving thousands of students, faculty, staff and community members through myriad student programs, services and business enterprises. With an annual budget of more than $21M, the AS operates residential and retail dining services, the Bell Memorial Union, the Wildcat Recreation Center (WREC), and administers the contract for the Wildcat Store (bookstore). Additionally, the AS offers a wide variety of services and programs such as: CAVE (Community Action Volunteers in Education), Child Development Lab, Adventure Outings, Sustainability and student government. Typically, the AS employs more than 100 full and part-time employees and more than 750 students.
In support of campus-wide efforts, the AS is committed to recruiting and hiring candidates who demonstrate and embrace our corporate value and strategic priority of diversity. We take a culturally-informed and identity-affirming approach to all our processes related to employee relationships. We provide timely and intentional opportunities to increase the cultural consciousness and commitment to inclusivity within the Associated Students and actively support University-wide diversity initiatives. Successful candidates are those of diverse abilities and identities who will work to advance policies and practices that will strengthen our organizational culture.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
To be considered, you must submit an application in full and attach a resume and cover letter. This position is open until filled; applications reviewed upon receipt.
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS COORDINATOR
The Government Affairs Coordinator serves as the first and main contact for all aspects of student government operations. This position will provide advisory and administrative support to the elected student representatives as well as the Government Affairs councils and committees. Primary responsibilities focus on the recruitment and onboarding process of all councils and committees; as well as organizing the Board of Directors and standing committees. These include Associated Students Government Affairs Committee (GAC), AS Business Committee (ASBC) and AS Facilities Committee (ASFC).
– Support the Board of Directors and standing committees by ensuring timely preparation and posting of agendas and other appropriate documents, meeting all legal and organizational guidelines.
– Manage the scheduling of multiple committee members using MS Outlook, preparing detailed agenda packets, consistent communication with campus partners, taking meeting minutes, working with marketing to place public posts, and updating AS codes, policies, bylaws as needed meeting all required deadlines.
– Assist the councils and committees in the development of new policies, resolutions, changes to governing documents, and formal communications.
– Mentor and advise AS Committee Chairs, as assigned by the Director of Government Affairs.
– Regularly review and recommend updates to the Corporate Code Book. Ensure posting to public facing locations as required.
– Prepare and distribute Executive Orders for AS President.
– Schedule Audit and Investment committee meetings, including preparation and distribution of agenda packets and posting agenda.
– Responsible for filing of Corporate Records, Board and Committee historical records, resolutions, etc. per the records retention policy.
– Facilitate the recruitment process to fill Board and committee vacancies. This includes posting the vacancy, evaluating applications for eligibility per AS Bylaws, communicating with applicants and respective committee chairs, ensuring placement of all applicants and follow up as needed.
– Attend council and committee meetings to ensure policies and procedures are accurately being followed.
– Conduct quarterly one-on-one meetings with elected student representatives to evaluate duties and responsibilities as stated in AS Corporate Codes, Bylaws and other governing documents. Share information with AS President and Government Affairs Director.
– Support the Election Supervisor with AS general and special elections process as directed.
– Develop strategies and recruitment programs to increase engagement and participation in student government leadership opportunities
– Serve as a resource and advisor to student government leaders, providing guidance, mentorship, and professional support in their leadership roles.
– Create innovative leadership development programming for elected student representatives and members of councils and committees.
– Partner with the Connection Coordinator to support the centralization of elected student representative events and mentorship opportunities.
– Administer training to elected student representatives for peer mentorship responsibilities and accountability. Provide support and follow through for the continuous experience.
– Actively assist with the planning and implementation of bi-annual trainings related to onboarding new students as well as mandatory Spring training.
– Coordinate the transition process for incoming elected student representatives including, but not limited to, recruitment for vacant positions, eligibility verifications, calendaring important dates, etc.
– Manage student leadership travel to include reservations, petty cash allocations, submitting required documentation to accounting ensuring all deadlines are met and corporate travel policies are followed.
– Organize Government Affairs events to include space reservations, securing ordering equipment and catering, reviewing contracts and securing authorized signatures.
– Organize and facilitate the CSSA two-day conference when hosted on the Chico State campus.
– Interpret, communicate, and apply applicable national, state, CSU, Chico State, and Associated Students policies, procedures, bylaws, laws and Executive Orders as it relates to AS Government Affairs.
– Attend all overnight retreats and conferences with the Board and other travel as directed.
– Assist the Director of Government Affairs with annual budget projections and allocations.
– Other duties may be assigned.
POSITIONS DIRECTLY SUPERVISED
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in an office, occasionally, outside environments, including exposure to dust, heat and possible adverse weather conditions; continuous contact with staff, campus community, and public.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; verbal and written communication. Ability to move throughout and between different departments and facilities in the organization.
Occasional travel to retreats, conferences and trainings typically within California.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
– Handle confidential sensitive information and situations using professionalism in effectively dealing with a broad range of interpersonal contacts, including those at a higher level.
– Support student leaders in their efforts to advocate for student interests, voice concerns, and effect positive change within the campus and local community.
– Develop and maintain positive relationships with internal and external campus partners.
– Promote collaboration and communication between Student Government and other campus organizations, departments, and external partners to enhance the impact and reach of student-led initiatives.
– Stay informed about emerging trends, best practices, and legal requirements related to student government programs in higher education, incorporating new ideas and strategies into program development and management.
– Monitor Student Government programming and initiatives at other universities and CSSA and bring applicable updates to the AS Leadership Team and Standing Committees.
– Foster an atmosphere of mentoring, student learning, and personal and professional development.
– Intermediate knowledge of MS Outlook
– General knowledge of Robert’s Rules of Order and the Gloria Romero Act.
– Best practices for minute taking of a corporate board.
MINIMUM EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Two (2) years full-time or part-time equivalent progressive experience in administrative support with a preference of student affairs, student union or student activities experience.
Bachelor’s Degree preferred; completion of college level educational training in subjects related to student activity development and administration is highly desirable.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. Associated Students will make a conditional offer of employment which may be rescinded if the background check reveals any disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
To apply for this job please visit as.csuchico.edu.