The ASI Web/Applications Developer is responsible for the design, development, implementation, management, maintenance, operations and security of web-based systems, organization web sites, and linkages to on-line data and information resources and other web sites. As directed by ASI senior management, and in coordination with ASI Communications management, the incumbent is responsible for advising leadership on new programs and technologies to better serve Associated Students’ diverse population. The incumbent also assists with programming, deploying, and coordinating web applications, mobile applications, and web-enabled services by performing the following duties.
The following is a high-level breakdown of the essential duties:
Content management for ASI websites – 70%
Developing new webpages and optimizing existing page functionality – 20%
Creating/Programming web and mobile applications to support ASI operations – 10%
In addition, the incumbent directly supervises a team of 3-4 student assistants, who can assist in the functional areas described above. Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the United States. ASI is unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of Employment Visas
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs ongoing development, audits, improvements and maintenance activities for ASI’s websites to ensure optimal user experience. Provides content management, layout design, accessibility improvements and custom code to enhance ASI’s public image and provide relevant online information and services to CSULB students, faculty, and staff.
- Performs quality assurance and user acceptance testing to ensure web applications meet clients specifications and adheres to ADA 508 and ATI compliance accessibility standards.
- Develops modern and responsive websites and web applications that are engaging and drive students and customers to use ASI sites. Gathers feedback from clients, stakeholders and design and technical staff to build wireframes, interface concepts and other development needs.
- Deploys, integrates, monitors and administers RDBMS and NoSQL databases.
- Sets up and analyzes web analytics for all ASI websites and services. Creates monthly reports that interpret data and offer insights and advice to various managers and committees on the best plan of action to take to improve user engagement and retain ability.
- Analyzes designs and user requirements and follows software development life-cycle (SDLC)methodologies to develop code that is both manageable and maintainable.
- Provides programming support for existing web-based and mobile applications including streaming media applications, social networking tie-ins and shopping cart systems. Analyzes user requirements to develop and implement effective automated solutions; applies system upgrades and modifications; support both frontend and backend code, including advanced JS and PHP/Python code, as well as client code built using the Ionic 2 Framework
- Develop RESTful web services and data-driven content to allow users to input and retrieve information. Builds user interface applications and back-end databases using various programming and scripting languages, usability techniques, and best practices. Utilizes modern programming and scripting languages, frameworks, usability techniques and best practices.
- Assist with SharePoint design and implementation to create company-wide intranet portal for self-help projects, information sharing, corporate announcements, and corporate green initiatives.
- Manages and secures ASI’s domains, SSL certificates, VPS server(s) and databases.
- Keeps current with web development trends and tools. Determines new web technologies to utilize, such as browsers, languages, and plug-ins, based on company’s needs. Acquires and maintains the requisite technical skills for web application development and the implementation of new and enhanced web-based technologies.
- Makes suggestions on creating web-based technical standards for specific web sites and the company as a whole.
- Advise the Senior Communication Manager of technical issues and consults with vendor and support agencies to resolve problems and determine hardware/software requirements.
- Develops and maintain operational, procedural, and informational documentation for the management, maintenance, operations, and security of web-based application systems and web sites.
Directly supervises 2-3 student part-time employees in the ASI Communication department. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) or equivalent from four-year college or university in marketing, public relations, or job-related field; and five years of directly related experience, preferably in college union or comparable student or public service occupation; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge and Abilities
Fundamental knowledge of Object Oriented Programming; advanced knowledge with 3-years minimum of Joomla, AJAX, Bootstrap, jQuery and Angular 2, Django and RESTful design; advanced knowledge of SSH commands and debugging; familiarity with the many web tools and frameworks; working knowledge of the various limitations and capabilities of web browsers and various plug-ins; advanced knowledge of ADA 508 compliance in web development; familiarity with the CSU’s ATI compliance standards in web development; advanced knowledge of SQL; working knowledge of management tools like cPanel, phpMyAdmin and WHM. Experience developing native mobile applications in Java or Objective-C is a plus.
Ability to program in, analyze and debug PHP, HTML5, JS/TypeScript, CSS3, GIT, Python and CSS without the use of a graphical editor; ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures and university regulations; ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, student, customers,
and the general public; ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, and volume; ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry; ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Valid California driver’s license.
Must occasionally be able to work a flexible schedule for special events or programs.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with ASI. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current ASI employees who apply for the position.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org