Under the supervision of the Associate Executive Director and in consultation with the Associated Students Marketing Manager, the Aztec Recreation Marketing Coordinator is responsible for the development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing and communications plan for Aztec Recreation which includes Aztec Recreation Center membership, group fitness classes, aquatics programming, credit and non-credit classes, intramural sports, sport clubs, Aztec Adventures outdoor program, Adapted Athletics, and special events. The Aztec Recreation Marketing Coordinator assists with department assessment and reporting efforts and oversees content creation, implementation and quality control for all Aztec Recreation communication channels including website, social media and digital signage. The position assists the Associated Students Marketing Manager with the planning coordination and implementation of broader A.S. marketing, promotion, assessment and reporting efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and implements a comprehensive marketing, communication and promotion plan for all Aztec Recreation programs
- Assists program areas to increase program participation and revenue
- Oversees content creation, implementation and quality control for all Aztec Recreation communication channels including website, social media, digital signage, YouTube, and Yelp
- Manages projects within Asana or other department-selected project management software
- Assists with annual assessment and reporting of facility and program usage and satisfaction using techniques such as participant evaluations, written surveys, focus groups and informal discussions
- Makes recommendations to enhance membership growth and alternate sources of revenue growth
- Develops, manages and supervises numerous special events each semester including, but not limited to, Health Expo, Explore SDSU, Aztec Nights events, SDSU Orientations, Live Well Aztecs events, and the annual ARC ‘til Dark
- Assists with support of marketing and communication efforts for the Live Well Aztecs wellness initiative
- Assists with A.S. wide marketing and communication efforts
- Coordinates department emergency communication plan
- Hires, trains, schedules and supervises part time staff
- Ensures adherence to all A.S. policies and procedures
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Four year degree from an accredited college or university required in Marketing, Advertising, Recreation, Sports Management or related field preferred
- Two years of experience in marketing, sales, or public relations
- Preference given for work in recreation, health, or sports related setting
- University experience preferred
- Experience with and knowledge of data base management, word processing, spreadsheets, and publishing programs
- Experience and knowledge of graphics production preferred
- Sales background preferred
Licenses & Certifications:
- American Red Cross CPR, First Aid, and AED certification required (certifications may be obtained within first month of employment)
- A valid California Drivers’ License and proof of automobile insurance is required.
- Sexual Harassment Prevention for Supervisors
- Data Security & Privacy
- Gender Awareness Training
- Must professionally represent Associated Students and San Diego State University at all times
- Must possess excellent customer service skills with a major emphasis on revenue generation
- Demonstrated success in mentoring work teams of diverse functions, complying with organizational policies and procedures and supporting change within an organization
- Must be able to function under limited supervision and accomplish goals and tasks in a highly professional manner
- Commitment to values of diversity, multi-culturalism, and higher education
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of marketing, promotions, assessment, recreation sports industry and best practices
- Proven necessary supervisory skills and strong ability to lead and motivate student and non-student employees and volunteers
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate personal computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Ability to gather and organize data, draw logical conclusions and discern implications
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Must be self-motivated, self-starter and perform with minimal direction and supervision
- Ability to present a consistent positive approach to students and all internal and external contacts by being courteous, respectful, helpful and cooperative at all times
- Ability to develop and maintain quality effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, alumni and co-workers within a diverse, frequently changing campus community
- Commitment to a high standard of safety and ability to communicate and train safety policies and procedures to staff
- Strong ability to lead and motivate student employees and volunteers
- Proven necessary supervisory skills including, but are not limited to: hiring, inspecting, analyzing, planning, prioritizing, scheduling, assigning, receiving, controlling, training, instructing, documenting, recommending and reporting
- Ability to tactfully resolve difficult situations
- Ability to interpret and communicate policies and procedures
- Ability to adapt to and work in an environment of constant change, growth and frequent interruptions
Compensation: $27.89 – $30.77 Per Hour
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a regular, full-time position. Flexibility and willingness to work long and irregular hours and days, including evenings, weekends and holidays as needed by program schedule.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of programs; programs may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, wind, rain, weather, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
This position may also call for occasional business-related driving.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include talking, listening, sitting, standing, walking, manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying, and use of office equipment including but not limited to computers, scanners, printers, telephones, copiers, fax machines, digital cameras, corrected vision and hearing to standard range. Must be able to recognize and respond to emergencies and prevent injuries.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Associate Executive Director with dotted line reporting to Associated Students Marketing and Communications Manager
- Works closely with Aztec Recreation Associate Director
- Supervises 6-8 part-time student employees
- Works closely with other campus recreation personnel
- Works closely with Associated Students graphics staff
Outside the Organization:
- Works closely with university marketing staff outside of A.S.
- Works closely with SDSU colleagues with MARCOMM, ALI, Residential Education, Aztec Shops, Well Being and Health Promotion and Live Well Aztecs
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Full-Time, Non-Exempt, Grade 6
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
To apply for this job please visit cta.cadienttalent.com.