Location: California State University San Marcos Corporation (CSUSM Corporation)
Appointment: Full-time, Regular with Benefits, Exempt
Anticipated Salary: $66,560 – $69,300; depending on experience
Total Compensation including Benefits = $93,184 – $97,020 annualized*
*Based on health insurance coverage for employee + family
Competitive salary with outstanding benefits package to include a full health insurance program offering 100% paid premium options for employees and their dependents, 403(b) Retirement Plan with an 8% Employer Contribution – 100% immediate vesting – with a 3% Employee Contribution, and so much more! Full benefits and other information can be found on the CSUSM Corporation website, https://www.csusm.edu/corp/hr/benefits/summary.html. This is a hybrid position with the ability to work from home 1-2 days per week.
Posted: September 29, 2023
Application Deadline: First review October 16, 2023 (Extended November 9, 2023) – Open Until Filled
Under general supervision of the Associate Executive Director, Human Resources & Payroll (AED, HRPR), the Payroll Analyst is responsible for performing daily payroll processing functions utilizing various payroll, HRIS and accounting software packages. This position is responsible for completing payroll each pay period according to CSUSM Corporation policy and procedures and in compliance with State and Federal law. This position will also be responsible for the employee benefits invoice payments and reconciliations and processing any related payroll changes. Typical benefits administration activities include but are not limited to, updating benefit deductions in the payroll system, ensuring proper deductions are set up for individual employees, and implementing modifications to employee benefit plans. The Payroll Analyst will work with the Auxiliary Accounting and Corporation Finance & Business Operations teams as well as assist others within the Corporation HRPR department when needed and will provide customer service to all employees, supervisors, campus partners, outside contacts, and other stakeholders.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or additional years related experience in lieu of degree required; Certifications in field preferred
- Minimum of five (5) years related experience required, in an organization of comparable size or larger preferred
- Experience using payroll and accounting software programs required; ADP Workforce Now preferred
- Extensive computer experience, including but not limited to the following software: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Microsoft Outlook (email), and internet browsers; Experience using Adobe Acrobat and online collaborative systems such as Microsoft Teams strongly preferred
- Microsoft Office Suite Proficient Level (must have advanced Excel skills – pivot tables, v-look ups, creating formulas)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced working knowledge of employment processes, procedures, and both California and Federal Wage & Hour laws
- Intermediate working knowledge of record keeping and filing (including electronic filing), data entry, and office operations
- Ability to work with detailed information, thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation in written and oral communications
- Ability to handle confidential documents and materials
- Must be self-directed, have the ability to work independently, complete projects with limited supervision, and comprehend and carry out instructions furnished in oral and written form
- Ability to organize, alphabetize and file records
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to manage own time and demonstrate flexibility when department or position priorities shift
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills necessary to handle multiple tasks, achieve results, and expedite projects
- Ability to draft and compose correspondence and standard reports
- Ability to communicate effectively and in a timely manner with faculty, researchers, administration, and staff at all levels
- Proven ability to work as a team player and demonstrate professionalism under pressure
- Ability to effectively handle interpersonal interactions at all levels and handle highly sensitive interpersonal situations
- Thorough knowledge of office systems and ability to use a broader range of technology, systems, and packages such as MS Office (Excel, Word, Publisher, and PowerPoint) to prepare documents, spreadsheets, publications, and reports
- Ability to use/learn browsers for Internet access; Microsoft Outlook for email and calendaring; software tools to maintain web pages and willingness to learn new software programs as necessary
- Commitment to CSUSM‘s mission and goals as a student-centered university dedicated to teaching excellence and active learning with a university first perspective and a customer focused strategy
Other Employment Requirements:
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
Mandated Reporter Classification = Limited Reporter
This position is subject to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSUSM Corporation employees who apply for the position.
Must participate in CSUSM Corporation, CSU, and university-wide trainings as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform daily payroll functions utilizing the ADP payroll processing program; duties will include review of new employee setup in ADP, process timecards, maintenance of direct deposits, benefit deductions, wage garnishments and accruals, review and process ADP payroll reports, and process regular payroll and manual paychecks
- Responsible for reviewing payroll data and documents for inefficiencies and errors, checking that all amounts are accurate based on hours reported and ensuring payments are made on time
- Timecard review, missed meal periods, sending of payroll related emails and other non-payroll processing duties
- Maintain monthly payroll stale dated checks
- Calculation of fringe benefit costs
- Prepare and distribute quarterly vacation and PTO balances to supervisors or more often upon request
- Reconcile quarterly ADP 941 report to general ledger
- Prepare required state and federal agency reports as needed (e.g., quarterly EDD Multiple Worksite report, monthly US Labor Department reports, CA Pay Data Report, EEO-1, etc.)
- Data entry of new hires, separations, and other changes as needed in the payroll and HRIS
- Responsible for filing all payroll related documents and records as well as routing documents for approval
- Assist with benefits administration and communications as needed including but not limited to semi-monthly defined contribution retirement plan contributions and monthly benefit program invoice processing and reconciliations
Faculty Employment Authorization Forms (EAFs)
- Complete Faculty EAFs and following CSU Additional Employment procedures
- Process verifications of employment where income verification is requested – past and present
- Primary responsibility of Non-Resident Alien reporting
- Process Workers’ Comp reports related to wage information (e.g., estimated annual wage report, etc.)
- Provide training and guidance on Corporation payroll procedures to Corporation employees, supervisors, and administrative support
- Assist department with Audit preparation, including the location and retrieval of requested documents
- Assist with the organization and disposition of the shared HRPR Email Box
- Provide HRPR office support to include greeting walk-in guests
- Assist other HRPR team members as needed
- Additional special projects as needed
- Assist in special HRPR activities as needed
- Work effectively with coworkers, customers, and others by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner
- Listen to and objectively considers the ideas and suggestions of others
- Keep commitments and inform others of work progress, timetables, and issues
- Recommend process changes to enhance effectiveness and efficiency
- Develop and maintain exceptional working relationships with Corporation customers, coworkers, vendors, students, organizations, faculty, staff, University personnel, and local community
- Keep up to date on computer software and best industry practice (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Other duties as assigned
This position will not supervise others. May provide direction to student assistant(s).
Latitude and Judgment
- Will follow department, CSUSM Corporation, and university policies as well as state and federal employment and labor laws as it relates to their job responsibilities and will address any questions and issues with their supervisor in order to avoid conflicts and/or potential.
- Will exercise judgement and latitude over their immediate responsibilities, time, and resource management, and communicate with various CSUSM Corporation managers and administrative support staff.
- Will assist employees and CSUSM Corporation managers on current policy and procedures and seek assistance on more complex matters from their supervisor.
- Will be given authority to pay and reconcile benefits billings.
- Poor judgment in the performance of the duties of the Payroll & Benefits Specialist may result in missed deadlines, employee complaints, poor customer relations, and excessive rework.
- Will have no authority to hire and fire employees. Errors in judgment may result in poor service to and reputation with the University community.
- Errors in judgment may result in adverse financial outcomes.
- The work environment will include normal office conditions and daily use of a computer.
- Participation in activities, meetings, trainings, and conferences on and off campus, including occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Regular scheduled work hours will fall within the normal business hours of operations for the CSUSM Corporation administrative office to ensure department coverage.
- This is a hybrid position with the ability to work from home 1-2 days per week with approval by direct supervisor (AED, HRPR).
“JEANNE CLERY ACT AND CAMPUS FIRE SAFETY RIGHT-TO-KNOW LAW” NOTIFICATION – See website located at http://www.csusm.edu/clery/.
Payroll Analyst job posting and online application can be found on the CSUSM Corporation’s webpage, https://www.csusm.edu/corp/hr/employmentop/index.html.
Please apply by clicking “Apply” and be sure to submit a cover letter and resume. CSUSM Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, ancestry, and veteran or military status or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws.
For questions or if you experience any difficulties with the online application process, please contact CSUSM Corporation Human Resources at (760) 750-4700 or email@example.com.