Under the supervision of the Government Affairs & Communications Director, advises and assists A.S. Executive Officers and A.S. commissions, boards and committees by performing varied advisory and administrative tasks. Oversees and ensures the smooth operation of student government structure and functions, including A.S. commissions, boards and committees; and administers policies and procedures. Relieves the Director and Executive Director of considerable administrative detail by interpreting and executing policy as assigned and by effectively achieving various goals and projects of the organization with minimal supervision.
- Four year degree in a job-related field from an accredited college or university required
- Four years’ progressively responsible administrative work that has provided applicant with required skills required
- Experience working with and/or coaching students or student employees and/or volunteers preferred
- Must professionally represent the Associated Students and San Diego State University at all times
- Demonstrated success in managing and mentoring work teams of diverse functions, complying with organizational policies and procedures and managing and leading change within an organization
- Commitment to values of diversity, multi-culturalism, and higher education
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guest
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate personal computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Knowledge of social media and national, state and local government structures
- Ability to gather and organize data, draw logical conclusions and discern implications
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Must be self-motivated, self-starter and perform with minimal direction and supervision
- Ability to present a consistent positive approach to students and all internal and external contacts by being courteous, respectful, helpful and cooperative at all times
- Commitment to a high standard of safety and ability to communicate and train safety policies and procedures to staff
- Strong ability to lead and motivate student employees and volunteers
- Ability to interpret and communicate policies and procedures
- Capable of building and maintaining positive working relationships with students and staff
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Expertise in handling emergency situations with composure
- Ability to adapt to and work in an environment of constant change, growth and frequent interruptions
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a regular, full-time position. Flexibility and willingness to work long and irregular hours and days, including some weekends and evenings.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of programs; programs may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
This position may also call for occasional business-related driving. A valid California Drivers’ License and proof of automobile insurance is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include talking, listening, sitting, standing, walking, manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination, use of office equipment including but not limited to computers, scanners, printers, telephones, copiers, fax machines, digital cameras, corrected vision and hearing to standard range.
Depending on program requirements, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 25 pounds.
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Full-time; Exempt; Salaried; Grade 14
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com