Under the supervision of the Aztec Student Union Building Services Coordinator, the Aztec Student Union Building Services Mechanic performs a variety of tasks in Aztec Student Union, Aztec Lanes, Children’s Center and Scripps Cottage. Duties include but not limited to performing preventive maintenance and repair of building HVAC systems, electrical systems and plumbing systems. This person will also assist with general carpentry throughout the facilities. This person will be cross trained to troubleshoot issues at the Aztec Lanes. This person is to become an integral member of a hard-working team comprised of full-time and part-time staff within the Student Union and Children’s Center. They should possess the ability to work both independently and as a team member. The mechanic shall demonstrate the ability to work effectively with a diverse population of building occupants, guests and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain electrical systems, plumbing systems and mechanical systems
- Conducts general carpentry which includes flooring repairs, cabinet repairs, painting, walls and ceilings
- Performs regular servicing and preventative maintenance procedures on all equipment
- Inspects and diagnoses deficiencies in equipment and/or operations
- Identifies replacement parts and supplies and prepares the orders
- Assist with performing major rebuilds and overhauls of equipment as needed
- Troubleshooting of Aztec Lanes pinsetters
- Participates in planning of budget and preparing major improvements and repair programs
- Maintains accurate records of parts, costs, and machine performance
- Assists in training part-time student staff on minor repairs
- Performs emergency and scheduled repairs to buildings
- Ensures that facility/equipment repair and storage areas are neat, clean and orderly
- Conducts regular walk-throughs of the facilities and inspects equipment to ensure preventative maintenance is performed in a timely manner
- Conducts all work with the first priority being safety for all staff and customers in accordance with safety policies and the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan
- Attends and participates in staff meetings to ensure quality control and training, possess knowledge of current events and general information regarding the Student Union, the Children’s Center and Associated Students
- Demonstrates a commitment to achieving the mission and values of the Student Union and the Associated Students
- Assists with other relevant mechanical and facility duties as assigned Performs regular walk-throughs of the facilities and inspects equipment to ensure preventative maintenance is performed in a timely manner
- Operates and controls the building automation using the Niagara system
- Assist in assuring the Facilities are following LEED O&M guidelines
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to operate personal computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn utilize new software programs
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions, and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Complete tasks satisfactorily
- Work independently or as team member
- Organizational Skills
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal and external communication)
- Interpersonal Skills and Teamwork
- Work effectively with other employees/departments
- Ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty and guest
- Quality and Accuracy
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work
- Customer Service
- Guarantees equipment is in good working order for customers
- Ensures any customer encounter is courteous, respectful and efficient
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with SDSU Facility Services staff
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with vendors, manufacturers and other regular contacts and customers
MINIMUM & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma required
- Must possess 2 years of equivalent experience in basic plumbing, electrical and mechanical
- Must possess 2 years of equivalent experience in general carpentry
- Possess thorough knowledge of methods, tools, and equipment necessary for the repair, alteration, maintenance, installation and operation of equipment and the facility
- Must have knowledge of building, fire, OSHA, and life safety codes and regulations
- Ability to read, write, and work from diagrams, operating and equipment manuals
Licenses & Certifications Requirements:
- First Aid and CPR/AED certification required (certifications may be obtained within first month of employment)
- Preferred fitness/exercise gym equipment mechanic certification
- Graduate of certified Brunswick maintenance training school preferred
Must comply with SDSU COVID-19 vaccine policies and procedures.
Starting range: $20.83- 24.04 per hour
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS:
This is a regular, full-time, hourly position. Willingness to work a flexible schedule as necessary in order to respond to emergency/urgent situations is required. This may include working extended hours, evenings, weekends and some holidays.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks. Some work may include exposure to moderate to extreme noise, limited lighting in areas, exposure to moving mechanical parts and exposure to high, precarious locations.
This position may also call for occasional business-related driving. A valid California Drivers’ License and proof of automobile insurance is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping climbing, working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads. Physical demands may require lifting or moving items up to 50 pounds; must acquire assistance for items 75 pounds or greater.
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and work well with all part-time and full-time staff
- Ability to take the initiative for additional projects and be self-motivated to initiate interactions with guests
- Ability to meet deadlines and work effectively in a dynamic environment
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Aztec Student Union Building Services Coordinator
- Collaborates and works closely with Aztec Student Union Building Services Engineer and Student Building Services staff
- Follows direction, collaborates and works closely with the Aztec Student Union Assistant Director of Facilities
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Full-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt, Grade 4
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children and/or supervise other staff.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org