University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) at Sacramento State is seeking a Building Maintenance Specialist I for the Union WELL, Inc. The Union Well, Inc. is an auxiliary of Sacramento State and is a California 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation. The corporation consists of the facility operations and programs of two buildings: The WELL (Recreation & Wellness Center) and The University Union. The WELL, totaling approximately 150,000 square feet, houses three fitness studios, a cardio suite, two fitness floors, a multi-activity court, four basketball courts, a rock climbing wall, four racquetball courts, an indoor running track, locker rooms, and a conference center. The WELL is also home to Student Health and Counseling Services. The University Union facility, totaling approximately 220,000 square feet, currently houses food service operations, retail operations, multiple meeting and conference spaces, Associated Students, Inc., Student Organizations and Leadership offices, Women’s Resource Center, PRIDE Center, KSSU Student Radio, Public Information Desk, Games Room, Union Gallery, Terminal Lounge (music/video digital media), Student Computer Lounge, Meditation Room, computer and printer workstations throughout the building, a University Police Service Center, and various open lounge spaces. The facilities provide services to over 31,000 students, as well as faculty and staff on campus. Visit The WELL and Union WELL Inc. websites to learn more.
RATE OF PAY: $4,403 – $6,605 per month
BENEFITS: UEI offers an excellent benefits package that includes:
- Participation in CalPERS Retirement Program
- Paid Vacation Time – starting at 6.66 hours accrued/month
- Paid Sick Time – 8 hours accrued/month
- Paid Holidays – 14 paid holidays per year including paid time off the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day as the CSUS campus is closed
- Excellent medical benefits – 100% employer-paid medical & dental for employee-only coverage and low cost for family coverage
- Educational Assistance Program for employees and/or dependents
- Free membership to The WELL
- View a comprehensive list of all of the benefits at https://www.enterprises.csus.edu/wp-content/uploads/UEI_Benefits-At-A-Glance-Brochure_Union_Well.pdf
FILING DEADLINE: November 5, 2023
APPLY ONLINE: To be considered, all applicants must apply through the UEI website at https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6158859.careers?ShowJob=520535829
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a full-time, non-exempt (eligible for overtime pay), benefited position that is covered under the California Public Employees’ Retirement System. Continued employment in this position is dependent upon the mutual consent of University Enterprises and the employee, and either University Enterprises or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause.
The selected candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the United States. University Enterprises, Inc. is not a sponsoring agency (i.e. H-1B Visa).
It is strongly recommended that all University Enterprises, Inc. employees follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications.
1. Demonstrated experience in general maintenance and repair work.
2. Demonstrated working knowledge of common methods, practices, and materials used in the maintenance and repair of building equipment.
3. Demonstrated general knowledge of the proper use and care and ability to operate various tools used in building maintenance, including powered equipment.
4. Must possess strong customer service skills and have the ability to interact courteously and effectively with customers, vendors, tenants, and staff.
5. Demonstrated ability to understand and follow oral and written directions in English, read chemical labels, and follow directions. Ability to make arithmetic computations where required.
6. Experience using word-processing and email software such as the programs in the Microsoft Office Suite.
7. Ability to work a varying schedule, including extended hours, swing shift, nights, weekends, and holidays as needed, and as part of an on-call rotation.
8. Demonstrated ability to do a variety of skilled maintenance repair tasks including such items as simple carpentry, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and general trades.
9. Demonstrate ability to carry out tasks in a reliable, productive, and expedient manner and to adhere to strict deadlines.
10. Ability to lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
11. Must be legally eligible to drive in California, complete and pass an online training course, maintain a good driving record, and be acceptable for vehicle insurance coverage under the University Enterprises insurance plan. Must continue to meet the established driving standards, driving record will be monitored with the California Department of Motor Vehicles to ensure compliance.
12. Must pass a background check, which may include fingerprinting. Must continue to meet the established standards.
1. Demonstrated experience with repairs to fitness equipment, including knowledge of mechanical components, motors, levers, pulleys, chains, and gears.
2. Experience working on appliances.
Stand and walk for extended periods; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; sit for extended periods; corrected hearing and vision to normal range; verbal communication; reach for tools and supplies; lift and move objects weighing up to 50 lbs.; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and climb; use motorized vehicles and power equipment; occasionally use office equipment including computers, telephones, calculators, copiers, printers, scanners, and fax machines.
Work is performed in indoor, outdoor, and equipment room environments; exposure to dust, oils, toxic substances, and electrical and mechanical equipment; may work on ladders or scaffolding; works under conditions of wide temperature variance; may work with exposure to moisture; may work in confined spaces; regular contact with staff, campus community, and public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position performs a variety of skilled manual tasks in the alteration, maintenance, and repair on the buildings, facilities, and systems in buildings operated by the Union WELL Inc. The position is accountable for assignments given on a daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis. Assignments will vary depending on the needs of the facilities but will usually be in the general category of building trades. This position reports to, and receives general supervision from, the Assistant Director, Maintenance and Facility Operations, Union WELL Inc.
The specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
1. Provides excellent customer service by executing client service requests for maintenance and repair of building fixtures and equipment including locks, doors, windows, window coverings, drains, shelving, kitchen equipment, lighting equipment and other related facility equipment. Completes all requests within allocated level of service (LOS) time frames using professional and efficient conduct.
2. Follows all safety procedures set forth by the Union WELL Inc.; attends safety meetings, wears proper Personal Protective Equipment, and uses lock out tag out (LOTO) protocol.
3. Tracks and records maintenance tasks through use of maintenance software, building management systems, and written paperwork.
4. Performs routine maintenance and repairs of building equipment, including aspects of electrical, plumbing, and structural upkeep.
5. Troubleshoots, cleans, tests, and performs other preventative maintenance tasks on HVAC, electrical, and mechanical systems.
6. Performs routine preventive maintenance on a wide variety of HVAC and refrigeration equipment, including remote condensing units, heat pumps, and walk-in units.
7. Cleans and maintains HVAC equipment and assists with replacements such as compressor and condenser units on HVAC split-systems, cooling towers motors, pumps, and motor bearing replacements.
8. Cleans and maintains building control systems including exhaust hood/fan systems, air make-up units, air handlers, and variable frequency drive (VFD) units, and assists with troubleshooting electrical problems integrated with such equipment.
9. Assists with troubleshooting refrigeration systems.
10. Performs maintenance and repairs of floors and walls including, patching, painting, replacing, and protecting as needed.
11. Cleans and maintains roofs and roof drains. Locates and repairs minor roof leaks on both built-up and single-ply roofing systems.
12. Maintains and performs additions/modifications on various building low-voltage control systems including HVAC, Fire Alarm, and Lighting.
13. Makes minor repairs and performs routine maintenance of custodial equipment, audio-visual, and event operating equipment.
14. Performs minor woodworking and carpentry tasks.
15. Works a varied schedule including nights, weekends, holidays as needed, and is part of an on-call rotation.
16. Performs other related duties as assigned.
***AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER***