University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) at Sacramento State is seeking a Contract Counsel for Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA). As Sacramento State’s non-profit business auxiliary, UEI creates and manages programs and services that enhance the University’s educational mission. The SPA office through its Post-Award Administration team supports the research and sponsored activity efforts of Sacramento State faculty and staff through the administration of grants and contracts funded by the federal and state government as well as private foundations and other organizations. The Post-Award team provides services such as account and financial management, expenditure processing, budget management, compliance and audit oversight, and serves as a liaison with funding agencies and various university and UEI offices.
RATE OF PAY: $5,702 – $8,553 per month
BENEFITS: UEI offers an excellent benefits package that includes:
- Participation in CalPERS Retirement Program
- Paid Vacation Time – starting at 10 hours accrued/month
- Paid Sick Time – 8 hours accrued/month
- Paid Holidays – 13 paid holidays per year including paid time off the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day as the CSUS campus is closed
- Excellent medical benefits – 100% employer-paid medical & dental for employee-only coverage and low cost for family coverage
- Educational Assistance Program for employees and/or dependents
- Work from home for up to two days per week depending on the position and with supervisor approval
- View a comprehensive list of all of the benefits at https://simplebooklet.com/benefitsataglance
FILING DEADLINE: This position is open until filled
APPLY ONLINE: To be considered, all applicants must apply through the UEI website at https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6158859.careers?ShowJob=453421346
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a full-time, exempt from overtime, benefited position, covered under the California Public Employees’ Retirement System. Continued employment in this position is dependent upon the mutual consent of University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) and the employee, and either University Enterprises or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause.
Sacramento State requires all campus employees, including auxiliary employees, to be fully vaccinated, including a booster, against COVID-19 unless they have a qualifying exemption.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated experience drafting, editing, and completing contracts, and subcontracts. Excellent attention to detail as to content as well as proper use of grammar, format, spelling, and punctuation when drafting or editing documents.
- Experience with and ability to read complex documents, understand a wide variety of legal, financial, and administrative concepts, and analyze complex data using logic and quantitative reasoning.
- Knowledge of standard contract administration and business or public administration principles and practices.
- Experience supervising or leading one or more people.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, and to respond effectively to changes in priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to make independent decisions, exercise initiative, maintain confidentiality, exercise discretion and sound judgment and utilize diplomacy in all communications.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills and experience working respectfully and tactfully with a variety of internal and external stakeholders across a range of positions, and the ability to function effectively and efficiently in situations requiring a high level of tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated experience using word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and video conferencing software such as the programs in the Microsoft Office Suite, including the ability to create and maintain tracking reports.
- Must be fingerprinted and pass a background check. Must continue to meet the established standards.
- Active member of California Bar Association, with a license in good standing.
- Experience working with or for California state agencies, experience with the California State Administration Manual (SAM), the California State Contracting Manual (SCM), and the California Public Contract Codes.
- Knowledge of procurement principles, practices, and procedures; the Federal Acquisition (FAR) and IRS regulations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) Contract Counsel performs duties for the post-award administration unit. The Contract Counsel will review contracts from federal, state, and non-governmental funders on behalf of Sacramento State faculty, centers, and institutes (FCIs); and will be assigned special projects including oversight of subcontracts related to large FCIs The Contract Counsel is responsible for amendments, tracking and executing renewals, ensuring that the terms and conditions are acceptable, and that contracts are executed in compliance with the policies and procedures of University Enterprises (UEI), Sacramento State, and the CSU Office of the Chancellor. The Contract Counsel has the primary responsibility for negotiating, developing and executing all FCI subagreements/ subcontracts and amendments, including securing all appropriate backup documentation and performing required regulatory checks. The Contract Counsel reviews and facilitates execution of all consultant agreements prior to the Associate Director’s approval. In addition, the position routes, reviews, and drafts UEI and Sacramento State memoranda of understanding as needed. The position reports directly to and receives general direction from the Associate Director, Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) and works in close coordination with the UEI General Counsel, and the Office of Research, Innovation, and Economic Development (ORIED). Supervises a graduate/law student. May provide work direction to the Contract Analyst.
The specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Negotiates and drafts complex subcontracts following UEI subrecipient procedures including collecting the pertinent documents and obtaining approvals. Assists ORIED and SPA staff and clients with subcontracts; works with the Senior Financial and Operations Analyst with risk assessment and the Associate Director with classification of subrecipients and contractors.
- Negotiates and drafts professional services agreements; reviews facts and circumstances to make independent contractor versus employee determinations; reviews independent contractor forms for completeness, appropriateness, and sole source justification where applicable.
- Works closely with UEI General Counsel to ensure that all sponsored programs agreements are executed in the best interests of UEI and the University, and to address risk areas and liability matters; if necessary works with General Counsel on other UEI contract-related projects that may be unrelated to SPA.
- Independently reviews complex contracts, agreements, and amendments including language and budget for FCIs to ensure compliance with University and UEI policies, procedures, applicable laws and regulations; drafts revised language as needed; coordinates with ORIED staff and faculty as needed.
- Assists department staff and various clients with questions regarding contracts. Provides analysis of complex awards and subawards to be executed and proposes solutions in cases without precedent; ensures actions in all matters are performed timely to prevent delays to project timelines. Identifies potential contractual issues, additional needs, opportunities, and makes recommendations on the resolution of issues to staff, faculty, clients, or sponsors.
- Provides training to and supervision of a graduate student assistant; provides work direction to and reviews work of the Contract Analyst.
- Maintains knowledge of required federal and state regulations such as Federal Uniform Guidance, and the California State Contracting manual (SCM). Maintains knowledge of applicable California law regarding independent contractor determination, and routinely analyzes facts and accurately makes such decisions.
- Makes recommendations on the development and refinement of policies and procedures related to contract development administration including acceptable terms and conditions.
- Provides varying levels of assistance with Requests for Proposals (RFPs) working closely with post-award account administrator, project personnel, and/or UEI General Counsel.
- Serves as backup representative to the Associate Director for sponsor and internal audits including communicating with all parties and obtaining requested information.
- Participates in client, faculty, and sponsor meetings as needed and presents workshops and/or trainings.
- Maintains and updates departmental templates related to contracts, subawards, and similar areas as appropriate.
- Provides assistance on special projects and other job-related duties as assigned.
Note: This position vacancy is with University Enterprises Inc., an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento. This is not a University position; the incumbent will be an employee of University Enterprises.
***AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER***
To apply for this job please visit secure6.saashr.com.