University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) is seeking an Enrollment and Admission Specialist for the High School Equivalency Program (HEP) at Sacramento State. HEP is one of fifty federally funded programs nationwide designed to assist migrant and seasonal agricultural workers to complete their high school education. The program helps individuals over the age of 18 obtain the equivalent of a high school diploma. HEP also prepares students for higher levels of education or training and assists with transitioning into more stable and better-paid forms of employment.
UEI offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
- UEI contribution to a TIAA retirement plan after one year of service
- Paid Vacation Time
- Paid Sick Time
- Paid Holidays – 13 paid holidays per year including paid time off the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day as the CSUS campus is closed
- Excellent medical benefits – 100% employer-paid medical & dental for employee-only coverage and low cost for family coverage
- Educational Assistance Program for employees and/or dependents
Apply online at https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6158859.careers?ShowJob=436651771 by August 5, 2022.
Pay Rate: $20.17 – $30.25 per hour
Sacramento State requires all campus employees, including auxiliary employees, to be fully vaccinated, including a booster, against COVID-19 unless they have a qualifying exemption.
The position is responsible for the enrollment and admission of individuals eligible for the CSUS High School Equivalency Program. The position will evaluate the applicant materials and work with HEP staff to recommend acceptance of applicants into the program. The position will interact predominantly with Outreach and Recruitment Specialist and program staff, students, CSUS staff, and University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) staff. The position will have occasional interaction with the U.S. Department of Migrant Education, the HEP/CAMP Association, and the California State Department of Education. The position reports directly to and receives general supervision from the HEP Director and/or designee.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Independently evaluates the student application, academic records and work histories of prospective students; conducts interviews and helps the Program Director to make decisions regarding acceptance into the program based on US Department of Education eligibility criteria. Maintains confidentiality of information as needed.
- Works closely with Outreach and Recruitment Specialist and instructors/facilitators to assist in providing information to meet students’ needs.
- Checks student’s intake/application for missing information and/or documentation and follows up with students to ensure application is completed.
- Ensures eligibility of prospective students and conducts quarterly student record audits/reports.
- Schedules and administers admission exams to new and incoming HEP participants.
- Creates HiSET/GED (High School Equivalency Test/General Educational Development Test) accounts and signs students up to test. Creates and maintains database accounts, updates information, records and scores.
- Helps HiSET testing administrator with student check-in and proctoring of exams.
- Creates and maintains HISET/GED testing database and updates records.
- Establishes and maintains HEP files and record-keeping systems, including confidential information and data. Ensures all confidential information is maintained appropriately.
- Interacts with a variety of campus employees and community members in a professional manner maintaining confidentiality of information.
- Participates in staff and or administrative meetings. If Program Director is not available, attends and participates in meetings representing the program.
- Meets with Director on a regular basis to review the database, recruitment efforts, and to help with program reports.
- Assists with the planning of events including the end-of-the-year celebration.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the HEP Director to ensure the success of the HEP program.
- Bachelor’s Degree in one of the Behavioral or Social Sciences, Social Work, Education or related field or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Excellent command of the English and Spanish language including grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Demonstrated experience working with minority and low-income students in academic and/or career advisement.
- Experience with migrant and farm working communities. Demonstrated knowledge of the unique cultural traits found in migrant families.
- Demonstrated experience with email, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and internet computer applications such as the programs in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated experience creating and updating spreadsheets to track student data.
- Demonstrated experience effectively communicating and working with all levels of employees and/or customers while maintaining a professional demeanor and exercising tact and good judgment.
- Excellent one-on-one and group presentation skills.
- Experience handling and maintaining confidential information.
- Demonstrated experience working in a multi-cultural environment and ability to function effectively in multicultural settings.
- Ability to work a flexible and changing work schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Self-directed with the ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work independently, function in a detail-oriented capacity, and respond effectively and with flexibility to changes in priorities and deadlines.
- Must be fingerprinted and pass a background check. Must continue to meet the established standards.
- Must be legally eligible to drive in California, complete and pass an online training course, maintain a good driving record, and be acceptable for vehicle insurance coverage under the University Enterprises insurance plan. Must continue to meet the established driving standards, driving record will be monitored with the California Department of Motor Vehicles to ensure compliance.
- Master’s Degree in one of the Behavioral or Social Sciences, Social Work, Education or related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience working within an educational or academic setting.