University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) at Sacramento State is seeking an Event Services Manager, Reservations for the University Union. The University Union has been known as “the living room of the university” since it opened in 1975. Centrally located on campus, the University Union hosts programs and house services for education, cultural, and social experiences. The three-story building offers numerous dining options, event spaces, recreational opportunities, and informal lounge spaces for socializing, studying, and relaxing. The University Union facility, totaling approximately 220,000 square feet, currently houses campus food service operations, retail operations, multiple meeting and conference spaces, Associated Students, Inc., Student Organizations and Leadership offices, Women’s Resource Center, PRIDE Center, KSSU Student Radio, Information Desk, Games Room, Union Gallery, Relaxation Lounge, Student Computer Lounge, Meditation Room, computer and printer workstations throughout the building, a University Police Service Center, two Mothers’ Lounges, the ASI Food Pantry, and various open lounge spaces and foodservice seating. To learn more about the University Union, visit https://theuniversityunion.com/
RATE OF PAY: $5,574 – $6,981 per month
BENEFITS: UEI offers an excellent benefits package that includes:
· Participation in CalPERS Retirement Program
· Paid Vacation Time – starting at 10 hours accrued/month
· Paid Sick Time – 8 hours accrued/month
· Paid Holidays – 14 paid holidays per year including paid time off the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day as the CSUS campus is closed
· Excellent medical benefits – 100% employer-paid medical & dental for employee-only coverage and low cost for family coverage
· Educational Assistance Program for employees and/or dependents
· View a comprehensive list of all of the benefits at https://www.enterprises.csus.edu/wp-content/uploads/UEI_Benefits-At-A-Glance-Brochure_Union_Well.pdf
FILING DEADLINE: This position is open until filled with a priority review date of February 4, 2024.
APPLY ONLINE: To be considered, all applicants must apply through the UEI website at https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6158859.careers?ShowJob=537307859 Applicants who apply outside of this link will not be considered.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a full-time, exempt from overtime, benefited position, covered under the California Public Employees’ Retirement System. Continued employment in this position is dependent upon the mutual consent of University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) and the employee, and either University Enterprises or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause.
The selected candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the United States. University Enterprises, Inc. is not a sponsoring agency (i.e. H-1B Visa).
It is strongly recommended that all University Enterprises, Inc. employees follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality, Event Planning, Event Management, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience.
2. Demonstrated experience in coordinating special events, scheduling meeting/event space, making arrangements for events, and managing events and function space use for a wide variety of purposes.
3. Knowledge of standard room setup layouts, procedures, and timelines; current audio-visual technology used in function space; and catering requirements, procedures, and timelines for meetings and events.
4. Experience managing a diverse staff including hiring, training, scheduling, monitoring, and evaluating.
5. Demonstrated experience using computer software applications including word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, internet, and email software, such as the programs in the Microsoft Office Suite.
6. Experience in the use of room diagramming software.
7. Demonstrated experience in actively leading a team by setting clear group and individual expectations, managing employee responsibilities and workflow, directly assisting staff with customers during periods of high activity and demand, and coaching employees to maintain engagement, productivity, and high performance.
8. Demonstrated experience using event scheduling software and demonstrated ability to manage data in accordance with established security and procedural guidelines.
9. Demonstrated ability to analyze issues and recommend a course of action.
10. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to provide concise, clear, and accurate verbal and written communication to a diverse public and staff, including grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
11. Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced environment while maintaining composure, setting priorities, and making quick decisions which reflect good judgment and thoughtful consideration of a variety of important factors. Demonstrated ability to work independently with little direct supervision and make effective decisions.
12. Knowledge of principles and practices of high-quality customer service, and demonstrated experience in their implementation.
13. Ability to interpret and apply Union WELL Inc., University, and State policies.
14. Ability to work occasional nights and weekends for special events as needed.
15. Demonstrated skill in maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of individuals within a wide and diverse range of social and cultural backgrounds.
16. Must pass a background check, which may include fingerprinting. Must continue to meet the established standards.
1. Experience working in a college union or other large conference facility.
2. Demonstrated communication skills in Spanish.
3. Knowledge of American Sign Language.
4. Experience using Event Management Systems (EMS), Master Calendar, Social Tables, or AD ASTRA software.
With or without a reasonable accommodation: Sit for extended periods; frequently stand and walk; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; ability to lift and move objects weighing up to 50 lbs.; corrected hearing and vision to normal range; verbal communication; use of office equipment including computers, telephones, copiers, and fax machines.
Work is performed in an office environment, in meeting spaces within a public building, and occasionally outdoors; continuous contact with students, staff, campus community, and the public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Oversees all day-to-day activities for the University Union’s Event Services Reservations Office. This includes scheduling and arrangement functions for meeting/event space within the University Union, booking space for student organizations in campus classroom space, meeting with customers prior to and during events, gathering feedback from customers after events, interpreting and enforcing policies, developing, and implementing procedures that result in an efficient and customer friendly reservation process, and managing the reservations database. In the absence of the Assistant Director, Event Services, this position may act on behalf of the Assistant Director. Works with other Union Well Inc. staff as needed in relation to Event Services operations. Assists the Assistant Director, Event Services as needed in all areas of Event Services. The position reports directly to and receives general direction from the University Union Assistant Director, Event Services. This position directly supervises full-time Event Services Coordinators and part-time student assistants. The position works closely with the following positions in the University Union: Event Services Manager – Operations, Event Technology and Setup Coordinator, student Building Managers, and Event Supervisors. This position also works closely with Campus Dining Services and Catering Staff, Student Organizations & Leadership staff, and other campus service providers. The specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
01. Manages day-to-day activities of the Event Services Office, including, but not limited to meeting with customers, establishing procedures for scheduling and arranging meetings/events, managing the reservation database, resolving questions and challenges as they arise, interpreting and enforcing policies, approving usage of space, and exceptions to standard booking practices as needed.
02. Manages all personnel functions for all full-time Event Services Coordinators and all clerical student assistants working in the Event Services office, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, supervising, evaluating, and payroll reporting.
03. Collaborates with the Student Organizations & Leadership office, Associated Students Inc., and Space Management with respect to booking space and making arrangements for student organization meetings and events. Assists in developing and refining policies and procedures related to those business relationships.
04. As part of the Event Services management team, assists in developing policies and procedures for the department, participates in long-range planning, and assists in developing and implementing assessment tools to gauge customer satisfaction and anticipate future needs.
05. Develops and recommends updates to the annual strategic plan and budgets for Event Services reservations functions. Monitors operating and capital budgets including full-time payroll, student payroll, and purchasing. Performs revenue accountability, budget management, and analysis.
06. Monitors operating budget for Event Services Reservations Office, purchases items as needed, and informs the Assistant Director, Event Services of any changes needed.
07. Ensures compliance with all event regulations and procedures and communicates these to Event Services staff and to customers before, during, and after events.
08. Meets regularly with Event Services Reservations and Operations staff to coordinate customer needs and ensure an efficient and smooth transition from the reservation process to the actual delivery of the onsite event. Provides regular communication with and feedback to the Assistant Director, Event Services.
09. Meets regularly with Union Operations management, Student Organization & Leadership office staff, and UEI Dining Services, as required, to facilitate events.
10. Actively seeks to optimize the request and booking processes to make maximum available use of the facility, shorten response times to customers, and gather all needed information in the most efficient way possible while still remaining accessible to customers.
11. Ensures security of personal data gathered in the course of normal office operations. Takes measures to safeguard data in accordance with CSU and Union Well Inc. policies.
12. Manages daily input and configuration of the reservations database software. Regularly looks at upcoming events to proactively troubleshoot event issues as far in advance as possible and make corrections and adjustments to event arrangements as necessary.
13. Assists with invoicing procedures, monitoring, and recording of payments.
14. Other job-related duties as needed.
Note: This position vacancy is with University Enterprises Inc., an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento. This is not a University position; the incumbent will be an employee of University Enterprises
***AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER***