University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) at Sacramento State is seeking an Event Technology and Setup Coordinator for the University Union. The University Union has been known as “the living room of the university” since it opened in 1975. Centrally located on campus, the University Union hosts programs and house services for education, cultural, and social experiences. The three-story building offers numerous dining options, event spaces, recreational opportunities, and informal lounge spaces for socializing, studying, and relaxing. The University Union facility, totaling approximately 220,000 square feet, currently houses campus food service operations, retail operations, multiple meeting and conference spaces, Associated Students, Inc., Student Organizations and Leadership offices, Women’s Resource Center, PRIDE Center, KSSU Student Radio, Information Desk, Games Room, Union Gallery, Relaxation Lounge, Student Computer Lounge, Meditation Room, computer and printer workstations throughout the building, a University Police Service Center, two Mothers’ Lounges, the ASI Food Pantry, and various open lounge spaces and foodservice seating. To learn more about the University Union, visit https://theuniversityunion.com/
RATE OF PAY: $3,758 – $5,637 per month
BENEFITS: UEI offers an excellent benefits package that includes:
- Participation in CalPERS Retirement Program
- Paid Vacation Time – starting at 6.66 hours accrued/month
- Paid Sick Time – 8 hours accrued/month
- Paid Holidays – 13 paid holidays per year including paid time off the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day as the CSUS campus is closed
- Excellent medical benefits – 100% employer-paid medical & dental for employee-only coverage and low cost for family coverage
- Educational Assistance Program for employees and/or dependents
- View a comprehensive list of all of the benefits at https://www.enterprises.csus.edu/wp-content/uploads/UEI_Benefits-At-A-Glance-Brochure_Union_Well.pdf
FILING DEADLINE: January 29, 2023
APPLY ONLINE: To be considered, all applicants must apply through the UEI website at https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6158859.careers?ShowJob=470194811
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a full-time, non-exempt (eligible for overtime pay), benefited position that is covered under the California Public Employees’ Retirement System. Continued employment in this position is dependent upon the mutual consent of University Enterprises and the employee, and either University Enterprises or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause.
Sacramento State requires all campus employees, including auxiliary employees, to be fully vaccinated, including a booster, against COVID-19 unless they have a qualifying exemption.
- Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management, Information Technology, Business, or Communications or related field, or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with accepted standards for setup and operation of function spaces, including room setup styles, ADA requirements, fire and life safety requirements, and day-of-event operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience with audio-visual equipment such as portable and built-in sound systems, video/data projectors, flat panel monitors, connections for laptops and portable handheld devices, video signal switching systems, lighting control systems, wireless, and wired microphones.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of online meeting software such as Zoom, GoToMeeting, WebEx, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience with hybrid meeting equipment including, but not limited to, external cameras, external microphones, USB repeaters, cable runs, as well as how to troubleshoot these components if something is not working correctly for the customer. Ability to implement meeting set-up from the ground up for each individual hybrid meeting with the customer’s preferences in mind.
- Demonstrated skill in working in a fast-paced environment, prioritizing work assignments, coordinating many tasks, and completing assignments with strict attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize work assignments, coordinate many tasks, and complete assignments with strict attention to detail.
- Ability to provide concise, clear, and accurate verbal and written communication to a diverse public and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise student staff while working alongside them to accomplish tasks in the most efficient manner possible.
- Ability to work a varied schedule, including a significant number of nights and weekends.
- Knowledge of safe working practices, including equipment safety guidelines and proper lifting techniques.
- Knowledge of personnel management, budgeting, and facilities management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to compile, prepare, write, and review reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of staff, as well as members of the campus and general community.
- Must pass a background check, which may include fingerprinting. Must continue to meet the established standards.
- Experience working in a university or college student union or another large event venue.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The position of Event Technology and Setup Coordinator provides leadership, planning, and coordination for all physical elements of events. These include audio-visual equipment, furniture, staging, setup of room configurations and overall room appearance. Develops plans and manages meeting and event production. Coordinates all event services in the evenings, including providing setup, operation, and troubleshooting of an extensive array of audio-visual equipment. Secures and tests all equipment to ensure proper functionality. Supervises the physical setup of events and participates in the setup of the rooms. Assists with other building operations functions as needed. The position reports directly to and receives general supervision from the University Union Event Services Manager, Operations. The position also works closely with the Union Event Services office staff, the University Union contracted custodial services staff, student assistants, student Building Supervisors, and catering staff. The position supervises the work of Event Services event setup student assistants, student sound and light technicians, and the student Event Supervisors.
The specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Develops and supervises the physical room setup for meeting, conference, and event rooms in the University Union. Provides supervision for student event setup staff placing all furnishings and equipment in the rooms. Works alongside student staff as needed, and ensures that all room setups are timely, accurate, complete, functional, neat, clean, and ready for customer use prior to each event.
- Interviews, hires, trains, schedules and evaluates student assistants. Provides specific feedback to the Event Services Manager, Operations on students’ productivity and/or disciplinary problems.
- Assigns and divides work among student assistants so that work is completed in an efficient and timely manner. Resolves questions and anticipates potential problems that may arise during the setup process, in a manner that assures the highest degree of customer satisfaction while adhering to established policies and procedures.
- Meets regularly with Event Services Reservations and Operations staff to coordinate customer needs and plan for future event setups. Provides regular communication with and feedback to the University Union Event Services Manager, Operations and Assistant Director, Event Services.
- Sets up, operates, and troubleshoots many different types of audio-visual equipment including, but not limited to, portable and built-in sound systems, including multiple microphones (both wired and wireless), video/data projectors, Blu-ray player, portable handheld electronic devices, video switching, and lighting systems. Integrates University Union equipment with computers and devices supplied by event sponsors and/or event multi-media partners.
- Designs and implements hybrid (virtual/in-person) meeting infrastructure, based on specific customer requirements including, but not limited to, the physical setup of the equipment, cabling, troubleshooting hybrid meeting software/laptops, as well as providing training to student staff on how to follow similar steps from the ground up.
- Ensures that all audio-visual equipment is accounted for and properly secured before, during, and after each event.
- Works with supplemental/outside audio-visual equipment and personnel/vendors when large events require the addition of equipment/expertise provided by sponsors or event partners.
- Trains staff and works alongside staff to perform on-site event management including meeting with customers, interpreting policies, troubleshooting audio-visual problems, finding solutions, monitoring proper safety procedures, and coordinating with catering staff.
- Regularly performs and supervises student staff in performing preventive maintenance for event equipment.
- Ensures that employees are provided safety training and attend safety meetings, and that staff conduct daily safety inspections of equipment for compliance with standard industry regulations. Develops and conducts safety and risk management training for staff regarding equipment and other related items and/or activities.
- Works with Union WELL Inc. IT services to respond timely and effectively to audiovisual technical issues as they arise throughout the facility. Troubleshoots audiovisual issues in collaboration with Union WELL Inc. IT services and various WELL departments.
- Works with audiovisual vendors to troubleshoot issues and replace equipment as needed.
- Works with the Event Services Manager, Operations, to create an inventory management plan, including tracking physical inventory, compiling inventory reports, and making recommendations for future inventory purchases.
- Recommends new or revised policies and procedures, and develops operating procedures for housekeeping, event production, event facility management, and other areas of direct responsibility.
- Assists the Event Services Manager, Operations and Assistant Director, Event Services, with creating an annual project and equipment list that is responsive to student, faculty, and staff input regarding programs and services in the University Union.
- Provides backup support for general building operations functions, as needed.
Note: This position vacancy is with University Enterprises Inc., an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento. This is not a University position; the incumbent will be an employee of University Enterprises.
***AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER***