Executive Director, University Enterprises, Inc.
Job No: 525665
Work Type: Management (MPP)
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time, On-site (work in-person at business location)
Working Title: Executive Director, University Enterprises, Inc.
Classification Title: Administrator IV
Priority Application Deadline: Sunday April 9th, 2023 at 11:55pm PST (Posting will remain open until filled)
As the chief executive officer of University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) the Executive Director provides leadership and vision for UEI in support of instruction, scholarship, and the service programs of the institution, providing administrative support for the university’s research and sponsored programs, overseeing the operation of the campus’ retail enterprises, overseeing UEI project and property development, and establishing an entrepreneurial capacity. Operating within the policy framework of UEI’s Board of Directors, the CSU Board of Trustees and the University President, the Executive Director provides leadership and is responsible for and has commensurate authority to direct and coordinate UEI administered programs providing essential services and facilities which are an integral part of the University’s educational program.
The Executive Director may delegate to members of UEI appropriate authority for the fulfillment of some of the duties but may not delegate the overall responsibility for results, nor any portion of their accountability, to the UEI Board of Directors.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $18,750 – $20,417 per month
CSU Classification Salary Range: $9,167.00 – $29,425.00 per month
Best-in-class Benefits: Click here to learn more
CSU Total Compensation: Click here to learn more
Recruitment Type: Regular
Time Base: Full-Time
Work Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5 pm; weekends and evenings as needed.
University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI), a non-profit auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento, creates and manages programs and services that enhance the University’s educational mission.
UEI is responsible for grant and contract management and fiscal services for University research and sponsored programs, and also provides fiscal services to University-related agencies and activities. UEI is the largest provider of student assistant employment opportunities in California. Both state agencies and private employers use California Intern Network as their primary source for student assistants.
UEI’s investment activity strengthens the campus by providing benefits that can’t be achieved with state funds. Examples include building purchases, federal research grants, and vital resources such as the Hornet Bookstore, Dining Services, and the Hornet Commons. In the last few years, UEI’s support of Sacramento State has led to millions of dollars for teaching and learning initiatives, as well as improved classroom space for students. These essential services and functions are provided in accordance with the goals of the CSU under an Operating Agreement with the university. CSU Auxiliary Fact Sheet
UEI is a nonprofit corporation governed by a board of directors in conformance with the appropriate State of California codes and policy directives of the Board of Trustees and the campus administration.
For more information about UEI, please visit: https://www.enterprises.csus.edu/about/
To apply, visit https://careers.csus.edu/en-us/job/525665/executive-director-university-enterprises-inc
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University.
- Five (5) years of experience managing a complex and diverse organization.
- Experience managing staff and fostering a team environment.
- Experience managing complex budgets, including budget analysis and long-term financial planning.
- Experience working with vendors to negotiate, develop, and manage contracts and agreements for services.
- Experience in real estate negotiations, acquisitions, financing, and management.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of and understanding of entrepreneurial business models.
- Knowledge of current best practices and trends to develop new revenue-producing and service opportunities.
- Knowledge of financial analysis and reporting techniques, human resources and risk management planning, accounting, and payroll.
- Ability to negotiate and manage multi-million dollar commercial enterprises; ability to negotiate contracts with vendors, etc.
- Ability to establish mission and goals; ability to create and implement strategic long-and-short-term goals; ability to align UEI’s business operations in supporting the University’s mission and goals.
- Demonstrated skills in employee supervision and workforce administration; ability to effectively lead, motivate and influence others.
- Ability to make effective decisions with sound analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus.
- Demonstrated skills in understanding complex financial reports, budgets, financial analysis, and long-term financial planning.
- Expertise in project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate, listen and take the lead in problem-solving and consensus-building.
- Demonstrated skill in working with individuals from diverse groups and institutional constituencies, including board members, university administrators, faculty, staff, students, governmental and private agencies, and the public.
- Demonstrated understanding of technology uses at corporate and departmental levels to achieve enterprise and customer service best practices.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Master’s or advanced degree from an accredited University or Master’s in Business Administration (MBA).
- Experience working in an auxiliary setting.
- Experience working in an institution of higher education.
- Experience negotiating and managing multi-million-dollar housing, dining, vending, and/or retail contracts.
- Experience working with a board of directors or equivalent.
- Experience leading the implementation of new business solutions and process improvements in a self-supporting organization.
- Experience with public/private partnerships.
- Demonstrated skills in strategy development, systems planning, and change management.
- Working knowledge of sponsored programs, grants and contracts, research activity, and operations.
Must have a valid California driver’s license and be acceptable for vehicle insurance coverage under the UEI’s insurance plan. Must continue to meet established driving standards.
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position. One variation of background check required could be a LiveScan screening, which involves submitting fingerprints at a certified LiveScan Service Center.
COVID-19 Vaccine Certification Information
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com
Out of State Employment Policy
Sacramento State University, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees (up)on date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Selected candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.. California State University, Sacramento is a sponsoring agency (i.e. H-1-B Visa).
Note to Applicants
Possession of the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview unless required by collective bargaining agreement.
To apply for this job please visit careers.csus.edu.