University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) at Sacramento State is seeking a Post Award Administration Manager for Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA). As Sacramento State’s non-profit business auxiliary, UEI creates and manages programs and services that enhance the University’s educational mission. The SPA office through its Post-Award Administration team supports the research and sponsored activity efforts of Sacramento State faculty and staff through the administration of grants and contracts funded by the federal and state government as well as private foundations and other organizations. The Post-Award team provides services such as account and financial management, expenditure processing, budget management, compliance, and audit oversight, and serves as a liaison with funding agencies and various university and UEI offices.
RATE OF PAY: $5,782 – $8,673 per month
BENEFITS: UEI offers an excellent benefits package that includes:
- Participation in CalPERS Retirement Program
- Paid Vacation Time – starting at 10 hours accrued/month
- Paid Sick Time – 8 hours accrued/month
- Paid Holidays – 14 paid holidays per year including paid time off the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day as the CSUS campus is closed
- Excellent medical benefits – 100% employer-paid medical & dental for employee-only coverage and low cost for family coverage
- Educational Assistance Program for employees and/or dependents
- Child care subsidy
- View a comprehensive list of all of the benefits at https://simplebooklet.com/benefitsataglance.
FILING DEADLINE: This position is open until filled with a priority review date of November 19, 2023.
APPLY ONLINE: To be considered, all applicants must apply through the UEI website at https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6158859.careers?ShowJob=520544713
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a full-time, exempt from overtime, benefited position, covered under the California Public Employees’ Retirement System. Continued employment in this position is dependent upon the mutual consent of University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) and the employee, and either University Enterprises or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause.
The selected candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the United States. University Enterprises, Inc. is not a sponsoring agency (i.e. H-1B Visa).
It is strongly recommended that all University Enterprises, Inc. employees follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Communication Studies, Public Administration or related area or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience.
2. Demonstrated experience in the field of research administration; substantial knowledge of administering grants, contracts, programs, and projects.
3. Demonstrated experience managing and supervising professional-level staff.
4. Understanding of accounting principles and fiscal records development, maintenance, and reporting; knowledge of the principles of budget development and maintenance.
5. Experience in analysis, research, reporting, and other project management areas.
6. Demonstrated experience with word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and email software such as the programs in the Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to navigate and retrieve information from the Internet.
7. Basic knowledge of regulations, policies, and procedures related to human resources, risk management, and payroll.
8. Ability to function effectively in a detail-oriented capacity, to respond effectively to changes in priorities and overlapping deadlines, and to work independently. Regularly exercises independent determination of approaches to projects and priorities.
9. Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and skills to function effectively as part of a team; capability to function effectively and efficiently in situations requiring a high level of tact and diplomacy.
10. Ability to establish and maintain effective professional working relationships both at the University and with research administration colleagues at other institutions. Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion when working with faculty, funding agencies, and UEI and University personnel.
11. Ability to read complex documents, understand a wide variety of legal, financial, and administrative concepts, and analyze complex data using logic and quantitative reasoning.
12. Ability to create effective presentations for workshops and training sessions.
13. Must be fingerprinted and pass a background check. Must continue to meet the established standards.
1. Graduate degree in Business Administration, Finance, Communication Studies, Public Administration or related area, or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience.
2. Experience with sponsored programs with emphasis on post-award administration.
3. Progressively responsible experience working in a college or university environment.
4. Understanding of Uniform Guidance (2 CFR Part 200).
With or without a reasonable accommodation: Sits for extended periods; frequently stands and walks; manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination; correctable hearing and vision to normal range; verbal communication; use of office equipment including computers, telephones, calculators, copiers, printers, scanners, and fax machines.
Work is performed in an office environment; continuous contact with staff, the campus community, and representatives of funding agencies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Manager supervises the day-to-day operation of post-award administration and staff under their purview. This position directs, manages, plans, and organizes post-award functions and provides leadership to staff to ensure the proper administration of campus-related accounts. This position will exhibit positive leadership and initiative in all contacts throughout the department, UEI, Sacramento State, as well as sponsoring agencies. The Manager is responsible for providing mentorship and training to staff and taking lead roles in department planning activities. The Manager is charged with team coordination, workflow management, daily operational oversight, communications coordination, issue resolution, and implementation of new and revised policies and procedures. In addition to the supervisory and team management responsibilities, the Manager may be responsible for administering a small portfolio of complex and diverse grants and contracts awarded from federal, state, and local government and private funding agencies, as well as self-support activities. The Manager will have a global view of the organization (both UEI and Sacramento State) and will facilitate communication between University and UEI departments, as well as within SPA and UEI. The Manager will perform as part of the leadership team in SPA. The position reports directly to and receives general direction from the Director, Sponsored Programs Administration. The Manager works in close coordination with the Associate Director, SPA and the SPA leadership team. Reporting directly to the position are the Compliance & Grant Analysts, and Account Administration Associates.
The specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
1. Supervises and mentors a team of Analysts and Associates. Supervisory duties include playing a lead role in the selection and hiring of these positions, day-to-day training and mentoring of staff, ongoing monitoring and evaluation of performance, analysis, and assignment of workload, oversight of tasks, and advanced problem-solving.
2. Manages the administration of grants and contracts from notice of award to initiation of project, through account closure, record retention, and any subsequent audit requirements.
3. Provides guidance and assistance to team members as well as other department professionals in developing solutions to more complex issues including problem resolution for matters related to Principal Investigators/Project Directors (PI) and their projects. Independently resolves issues in a timely manner.
4. Coordinates efficient workflow within the team and facilitates workflow between the team and other UEI and campus departments.
5. Oversees the dissemination and implementation of policy and administrative information and practice; maintains a thorough knowledge of and ensures sponsored projects comply with the policies and procedures of UEI, the University, and federal, state, and agency regulations including but not limited to Uniform Guidance (2 CFR Part 200).
6. Reviews and provides oversight of various monthly reports such as unbilled, aging, account set-up tracking, and project report due dates.
7. Prepares and presents training workshops on matters related to administering funded projects; develops written materials for training/informational purposes and oversees appropriate dissemination of these materials; initiates suggestions and helps develop presentations and leads discussions at departmental, center, or university meetings.
8. Participates and represents SPA on specialized task groups within SPA, UEI, and Sacramento State.
9. Gives guidance to departments when the policies or guidelines are not clearly stated. Develops new and innovative procedures and recommends policy in order to improve UEI processes and better service both internal and external clients.
10. Participates in long-range initiatives such as strategic planning, systems enhancements, or policy development.
11. Provides administration of sponsored projects for a limited number of accounts on an as-needed basis. Provides account administration at all levels including, but not limited to, the preparation of financial statements, review and approval of payroll and project expenditures; and account projections; review of project proposals; and monitoring for potential compliance issues.
12. Performs other job-related duties and activities as assigned.
***AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER***
To apply for this job please visit secure6.saashr.com.