University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) at Sacramento State is seeking a Research Associate for the Education Insights Center (EdInsights). EdInsights is an entirely self-supporting unit of Sacramento State. Established in 2001 as the Institute for Higher Education Leadership & Policy and renamed in 2015, EdInsights works to inform and improve policymaking and practice for K-12 education, community colleges, and public universities through three strands: policy research, program evaluation, and capacity building. The Center’s location in the state capital provides ready access to policymakers and educators and a unique opportunity to participate in and influence public discourse on education policy and practice. EdInsights receives financial support from philanthropic foundations, the federal government (through competitive grants/contracts processes), postsecondary system offices and institutions, and non-profit organizations. The Center’s work has been used in legislative processes and cited widely in policy-oriented publications and the media. With regard to the three strands of work, EdInsights’ recent policy research projects include studies of: the implementation of the Common Core State Standards; policies and practices that enable student transfer between California’s community colleges and California State Universities; state higher education policy development; and cross-system educational partnerships. The Center’s program evaluations assess policies and practices that support cycles of continuous improvement and help people understand the effects of public and philanthropic investments on institutional change. Its capacity-building work helps systems, regions, partnerships, and institutions work together effectively, assess the results of their work, and support students as they cross systems.
RATE OF PAY: $5,378 – $8,068 per month
BENEFITS: UEI offers an excellent benefits package that includes:
- UEI contribution to a TIAA retirement plan after one year of service
- Paid Vacation Time – starting at 10 hours accrued/month
- Paid Sick Time – 8 hours accrued/month
- Paid Holidays – 14 paid holidays per year including paid time off the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day as the CSUS campus is closed
- Excellent medical benefits – 100% employer-paid medical & dental for employee-only coverage and low cost for family coverage
- Educational Assistance Program for employees and/or dependents
- View a comprehensive list of all of the benefits at https://www.enterprises.csus.edu/wp-content/uploads/UEI_Benefits-At-A-Glance-Brochure_Projects.pdf
FILING DEADLINE: This position is open until filled with a priority review date of September 11, 2023
APPLY ONLINE: To be considered, all applicants must apply through the UEI website at https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6158859.careers?ShowJob=503765019
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a full-time, exempt from overtime, benefited position with a defined contribution retirement plan through TIAA. (The position is not covered under the California Public Employees’ Retirement System.) Continued employment in this position is dependent upon funding and the mutual consent of University Enterprises and the employee, and either University Enterprises or the employee, can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause. Program continuation is contingent upon funding.
The selected candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the United States. University Enterprises, Inc. is not a sponsoring agency (i.e. H-1B Visa).
It is strongly recommended that all University Enterprises, Inc. employees follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications.
- Master’s degree in public policy/administration, economics, political science, sociology, education, or other field requiring statistical analysis and social science research, or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience.
- Demonstrated experience with qualitative data collection and analysis methods, such as designing and administering surveys, conducting interviews and focus groups, and coding qualitative data; and/or experience analyzing quantitative data, such as quantitative survey data.
- Demonstrated experience with word processing, spreadsheets, internet, and statistical software packages such as SPSS or SAS.
- Strong technical and public (such as for policymakers) writing skills. Experience authoring/co-authoring research manuscripts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Commitment to educational equity and familiarity with disproportionate impacts for traditionally underserved communities.
- Must pass a background check, which may include fingerprinting. Must continue to meet the established standards.
- Knowledge of the California Community College system.
- Experience conducting program evaluation such as identifying program objectives, analyzing processes to meet objectives, and determining/measuring if the program has met the objective.
- Experience designing and creating data visualizations.
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment.
With or without a reasonable accommodation: Sit for extended periods; frequently stand and walk; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range; verbal communication; use of office equipment including computers, telephones, copiers, printers, scanners, and fax machines.
The position is remote-eligible, with occasional in-person staff retreats; continuous contact with staff, campus community, government agencies, and other organizations; requires local travel to meetings in Sacramento area and out-of-area travel for meetings, conferences, and observation of evaluation-related activities. Work is highly collaborative.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position is responsible for conducting EdInsights’ evaluation-related work, with projects ranging from large-scale community college pathways development to campus-based student success programs. This will involve qualitative and quantitative research data and will require fieldwork, interviews, policy analysis, case studies, statistical analysis of large and small data sets, and other analytical approaches. Depending on the specific study, activities may involve coordinating/managing individual project components, including data collection and analysis (statistical and qualitative), and will require fieldwork, interviews, policy analysis, case studies, statistical analysis of large and small data sets, and other analytical approaches. Depending on the specific study, activities may also involve conducting descriptive and statistical analyses of data, performing literature searches, conducting interviews, preparing and analyzing surveys, preparing written reports, and presenting research results. The incumbent will also represent EdInsights at statewide and national meetings of researchers, policymakers, philanthropic leaders, and other similar stakeholder groups. The position reports directly to and receives general direction from the Research & Evaluation Director or Research Manager, may receive work direction from Research Managers and/or Senior Research Associates. The position provides work direction to Research Assistants, with support from Research Manager/Director, and may collaborate with other research staff.
The specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Assists in the management of assigned project(s), such as coordinating and scheduling of evaluation activities; uses project management software to coordinate project components and document component progress; and presents Senior Research Associate/Manager with periodic oral and written reports on the status of project components.
- Participates in and/or facilitates client and staff meetings and assists in or leads agenda creation and meeting summary. Maintains continuous team and client communication for project components, with Senior Research Associate/Manager support.
- Assists in the development of complex research and evaluation proposals and design. Independently designs components of a larger complex project. Contributes to proposal and design brainstorming sessions. Supports the preparation and submission of research and evaluation grant proposals to foundations and other external grantors.
- Conducts literature reviews and secondary research, including search, review, synthesis, and write-up of relevant existing literature/data.
- Contributes to the development and administration of logic models, evaluation plans, and data collection tools, such as surveys and interview protocols, by drafting instruments.
- Administers surveys in Qualtrics; downloads, cleans, manages, and organizes data; collects observational data of client events for evaluation projects; and schedules and conducts interviews and focus groups.
- Analyzes and interprets data, including coding qualitative data and statistical analysis of quantitative data.
- Writes and provides feedback on evaluation and research reports; provides direction to, collaborates with, and provides feedback to UX/UI Design Analyst to create visuals for reports; and co-presents findings at meetings and conferences.
- Contributes to research protocols and practices; documents existing protocols and practices; updates existing protocols and practices to reflect final decisions made by team.
- Cross-trains research assistants and other research associates in areas of established competency.
- Reads external publications related to postsecondary reform, as relevant to ongoing projects.
- Represents EdInsights at statewide and national meetings of researchers, policymakers, philanthropic leaders, and other similar stakeholder groups.
- Supports the development of a cohesive evaluation strategy inclusive of needs, goals, and concerns of various audiences. Participates in center-wide discussions on equity and center strategic direction.
***AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER***
To apply for this job please visit secure6.saashr.com.