University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) at Sac State is seeking an Assistant Director, Human Resources. Human Resources (HR) is dedicated to recruiting, hiring, and training the organization’s employees and guiding and supporting management, staff, and customers in employee-related decisions for University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI). UEI, a non-profit auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento, creates and manages programs and services that enhance the University’s educational mission. UEI employs approximately 170 benefited and 1,700 non-benefited employees and is the largest provider of student assistant employment opportunities in California. HR oversees benefits and compensation, manages the employee performance review process, and stays current with changing laws, issues, and regulations in all areas that affect UEI employees. Human Resources is committed to balancing the needs of this dynamic organization with fair and equitable treatment of employees and all others served.
This position offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
- Participation in CalPERS Retirement Program
- Paid Vacation Time – starting at 10 hours accrued per month/3 weeks per year
- Paid Sick Time – 8 hours accrued per month/12 days per year
- Paid Holidays – 13 paid holidays per year including paid time off the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day as the CSUS campus is closed plus one personal holiday
- Excellent medical benefits – 100% employer-paid medical & dental for employee-only coverage and low cost for family coverage
- Educational assistance
Apply online at https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6158859.careers?ShowJob=436609298. This position is open until filled.
Pay Rate: $6,590 – $9,884 per month
Under the general direction of the Director, Human Resources, the position assists in the management and daily operations of the University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) Human Resources (HR) Department. This includes oversight of the benefited and student/part-time employment programs; the HR department website; and other HR functions as assigned. The position is responsible for compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action (AA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other employment laws. The position assists the Director, Human Resources with planning, development, and implementation of HR programs, employee relations, strategic planning, the HR department budget, and special projects as assigned. This position may fill in for the Director, Human Resources during absences or as requested. The position reports directly to and receives general direction from the Director, Human Resources. The position supervises the Human Resources Specialist (Student Employment), Human Resources Recruitment Coordinator, Human Resources Coordinator, and Human Resources Technician(s). The position works with and provides lead direction to other staff in the HR Department as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works with the Director to oversee the daily operations of the HR department, including day-to-day planning, organizing, supervising, and directing departmental operations.
- Supervises, schedules, trains, develops, evaluates, coaches and mentors assigned staff ensuring compliance with UEI personnel policies and procedures and Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity guidelines; prepares and delivers performance evaluations; and acts as lead in the selection and hiring of HR department staff.
- Administers the UEI employment and recruitment program for full-time benefited positions in compliance with UEI policies, practices, and federal and state laws.
- Ensures new hire orientations and the onboarding process for full-time benefited employees are completed.
- Compiles, maintains, and tracks Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action information for benefited positions. Responsible for the preparation of the Affirmative Action Plan. May respond to various audit and report requests.
- Responsible for oversight of the student employment program. Provides general direction to the Human Resources Specialist (Student Employment) in support of the student employment program and part-time recruitment, ensuring compliance with UEI policies, practices, and federal and state laws. May provide back up support for the student employment program, including but not limited to recruitment and hiring, employee relations, customer relations, and disciplinary issues.
- Advises management on employee relations issues and suggests appropriate steps for resolving, such as additional training, job evaluation, disciplinary action, etc. Advises management on the proper procedures for disciplinary action and makes recommendations to the Director, Human Resources. Prepares disciplinary and termination memos and assists with backup documentation as appropriate.
- Participates in the investigation and resolution of employee relations concerns including interviewing staff and preparing reports as assigned.
- Coordinates workflow within HR, working with the HR Operations Supervisor as needed, as office priorities, seasonal changes, and new projects dictate. Makes recommendations on policies/procedures affecting HR operations.
- Works with HR and Marketing staff to ensure the department website is updated with appropriate content.
- Assists the Director with developing and administering the Human Resources department budget. Works with HR staff to monitor the budget and prepare reports for the Director.
- Assists with facilitating communication within the HR department and between the HR department and units at UEI and the University. Identifies and facilitates problem resolution, communication, and training issues as needed.
- Writes and/or edits communications as requested by the Director, Human Resources including; correspondence, flyers, emails, and annual reports.
- Assists with developing, updating, and implementing UEI Personnel Policies. Performs research to ensure policies are legally compliant.
- May develop job descriptions to accurately reflect the job requirements, duties, and responsibilities, as needed.
- Maintains and expands knowledge and understanding of existing and proposed federal and state laws/regulations affecting human resources management. Interprets appropriate laws and policies and advises management and/or employees accordingly. Identifies trends that could impact organizational objectives and/or resources. Identifies methods to enhance and improve existing procedures.
- Assists the Director, Human Resources with the implementation or administration of various Human Resource programs and special projects as requested.
- Supervises the office and assumes selected duties for the Director, Human Resources during absences or as requested.
- Performs other job-related duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience.
- Demonstrated extensive work experience in Human Resources including experience in the areas of employment, recruitment and selection, equal employment opportunity (EEO) regulations, employment law, and employee relations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in the application of Human Resources policies and practices as they apply to a medium to large organization. Knowledge of affirmative action (AA) and ADA laws.
- Demonstrated knowledge of compensation principles and practices.
- Demonstrated experience in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, coaching, disciplining, and supervising staff.
- Demonstrated experience using computer applications including email, spreadsheets, word processing, presentation, and database software such as the programs in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated experience effectively communicating and working with all levels of employees and/or customers while maintaining a professional demeanor and exercising tact and good judgment. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with customers, applicants, and employees.
- Demonstrated experience working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written communication skills including excellent command of English language including grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Excellent proofreading and editing skills, including the ability to review and edit material for clarity, accuracy, overall consistency, and quality.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including excellent decision-making, problem-solving, collaborative, and analytical skills. Ability to plan, organize, and review the work of others.
- Must be extremely detail oriented and have good organizational skills. Skill in coordinating different tasks, setting and meeting deadlines, and completing projects.
- Must be fingerprinted and pass a background check. Must continue to meet the established standards.
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification or other advanced Human Resources certification or education.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of online application systems and databases, such as Ultimate Kronos Group (UKG) Workforce Ready or similar HRIS/Payroll program.
- Experience with training, compensation administration, and benefits administration.
To apply for this job please visit secure6.saashr.com.